Sunday, April 5, 2009

Trading Places

I got another go at being mom for the weekend. Chad & Julie went up to Vail to look for a place to live (The-Moving-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named), and I stayed with the nephews. I feel like I went to the next level of mom-for-the-weekend since this time it wasn't just doing the favorite aunt gig. We had two soccer games, a soccer party, a baseball opening ceremony and a baseball game on Saturday. whew! Zach still has a broken arm, so we ditched out on the baseball events.

We did manage to do all things soccer. Jake and Ben had games at the same time on adjacent fields, so I set myself up to turn and cheer for one, then turn around and cheer for the other. Very convenient. I was a little concerned when we had only walked a few steps from the car, and Jake said he was too tired to walk. We hadn't even made it out of the parking lot! Not a good sign. But once we got to the field, he livened up a bit. The game held his interest for the first quarter (luckily he was playing).

After that, he had more fun sitting on the sidelines rolling his ball around. I think he has perfect soccer hair. :)

Ben on the other hand tore up the field, scored two goals, with one right between another player's legs. Sneaky little guy.

Zach and I were the cheering squad.


The afternoon flew by in a flurry of pizza, cupcakes, and playgrounds. I claimed two hours to watch General Conference while the boys played a complicated game of "Keep Out" in their parent's bedroom (I'm still not sure I've grasped all the particulars). We managed to clean up the toys, eat real dinner (not a frozen thing on the plate--look at me go!), take baths, and be cozy in our pjs watching a movie when Mom & Dad came home.

Favorite quotes of the weekend:

"After Mom & Dad, you are the best babysitter!" ~Ben Top 3 ain't bad right?

"Leah, your name sounds like tortilla!" ~Jake Love the sounds like game, especially with a 3 year old.

"Mom, you should give Leah some money for staying with us." ~Zach No, no I do it all for the bragging rights.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Leah, I definitely think you have earned your "Mom" stripes! What a week-end! I've done the soccer-game-at-the same time thing with the boys. The hardest part was getting all the chairs and bags and balls to the sidelines while carrying Jake. Sounds like you were wiser--Jake walked!
Love,
Mom