Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I Ate This Today...

...inadvertently, of course.

Here's the story:

A group of chefs from Dijon, France were at the museum to celebrate the opening of a new exhibit of medieval tomb sculpture from Burgundy. They set up this amazing tasting. The first thing I laid eyes on was a yummy-looking panini. (And I never say no to a panini.) As I'm just about to crunch into the crusty, buttery bread, I hear a French voice say "escargot."

I'm sure he's not talking to me.

*crunch*

Because that's French for...

*chew*

No...right?

*swallow*

Because this spinach/mushroom/cheese panini is delicious. Mushrooms, right?

*gulp*

Wrong. Those "mushrooms" were indeed...well, escargot. I'm going to stick to the French because in English, it still makes my stomach turn a little. But, here's the deal, it really was yummy. I won't knowingly eat it again, but I think as long as a food isn't scary looking or smelling, your brain can convince you that it's something else!

After that, I was a little more cautious in choosing what I'd eat, and I ended it with an amazing hazelnut chocolate bite of goodness. Whew!

2 comments:

Trudy said...

Escargot! Now you can mark that off of your list of things to try!

yours truly said...

I had sea snails in Korea, also eating them and loving them before knowing what they were. They were long and curly...